Tuesday, July 8, 2014

How It all started

How it all started
Written by Scott Powers
     

   
Honestly? I never thought pole vaulting was going to be my passion until my head coach asked me what I was running. I thought of the easiest event there was (so I thought) and picked pole vaulting. My teammates told me it would be fun and really no running at all. First practice, just an intro and stuff to the sport and meeting our pole vaulting coach. He told me I would easily pass 8 feet in no time - he was right. The 1st meet was home and we had the "Home court advantage" because we live on an island the wind was blowing like crazy! I had only learned how to vault maybe 1 week before the meet. The 1st and 2nd jump I knocked that bar down but the 3rd jump I got over at 8 feet (boys standard). This opened up an entirely new world I started loving the sport. Every time I had a chance I looked up the pros learning from them and watching their jumps. I was becoming obsessed... all I can think of was the next personal record. The 2nd meet came and I was ready! I made it over 9 feet 6 inches that's two personal records because we go up by 6 inches every time you make it over. This is how it all started

At the warehouse 
At the warehouse (jumping)

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Everything and Anything Pole Vault" - Scott Powers